How to update model with new data?

Suppose that I initially train a Bayesian model with 5 training samples. As time passes by, I get more samples, and want to update the model with 2 samples a time for 20 times. Below is my code, I expect to see that the below result shoud be closer and closer to the true value as more samples are added and finally should be the same as I train the model with 45 samples together. But that’s not the case, the euclidean distance between the true and estimated values ocillate after the first 5 training samples. And the final results are worse than training 45 samples together. Do I miss anything?

from edward.models import Normal,Empirical
import tensorflow as tf
import edward as ed

import numpy as np

class BayesianLR(object):
    def __init__(self,log_dir=None):
        self.dim_x=None

self.ncases_train=None
        self.ncases_post=None
        self.log_dir=log_dir;#'E:/PythonCode/BayesianLinearStrategy/LOG'

def BuildModel(self,n_case,dim_x):
        self.n_case=n_case
        self.dim_x=dim_x

with tf.name_scope("model"):
            self.x = tf.placeholder(tf.float32, [self.n_case, self.dim_x])
            self.w = Normal(loc=tf.zeros(self.dim_x), scale=tf.ones(self.dim_x))
            self.b = Normal(loc=tf.zeros(1), scale=tf.ones(1))

self.y = Normal(loc=ed.dot(self.x, self.w) + self.b, scale=tf.ones(self.n_case))

def InferenceByKLqp(self,x_train,y_train,n_iter,samples4grad=5):
        with tf.name_scope("posterior"):
            self.qw = Normal(loc=tf.Variable(tf.random_normal([self.dim_x])),
                scale=tf.nn.softplus(tf.Variable(tf.random_normal([self.dim_x]))))
            self.qb = Normal(loc=tf.Variable(tf.random_normal([1])),
                        scale=tf.nn.softplus(tf.Variable(tf.random_normal([1]))))
        self.inference = ed.KLqp({self.w: self.qw, self.b: self.qb}, data={self.x: x_train, self.y: y_train})
        self.samples4grad=samples4grad
        self.inference.run(n_samples=samples4grad, n_iter=n_iter,logdir=self.log_dir)

def InferenceUpdate(self,x_train,y_train,n_iter=10):
        n_case=x_train.shape[0]
        dim_x=x_train.shape[1]
        if self.n_case!=n_case:
            self.BuildModel(n_case,dim_x)

for ic in range(n_iter):
            self.inference.update(feed_dict={self.x: x_train, self.y: y_train})

def GetCoeffs(self):
        w_mean=self.qw.mean().eval()
        w_std=self.qw.stddev().eval()
        b_mean=self.qb.mean().eval()
        b_std=self.qb.stddev().eval()
        return w_mean,w_std,b_mean,b_std

def build_toy_dataset(N, w,b, noise_std=0.1):

D = len(w)
    x = np.random.randn(N, D)
    noise_stdb=np.random.randn(1)
    y = np.dot(x, w) + b+np.random.normal(0, noise_std, size=N)
    return x, y

with tf.device('/cpu:0'):
    ed.set_seed(12)
    N = 5  # number of data points
    D = 3  # number of features
    n_iter=50
    b_true=np.random.randn(1)
    w_true = np.random.randn(D)
    X_train, y_train = build_toy_dataset(N, w_true,b_true)
    X_test, y_test = build_toy_dataset(N, w_true,b_true)

myBLR=BayesianLR(log_dir)
    myBLR.BuildModel(N,D)
    myBLR.InferenceByKLqp(X_train, y_train,n_iter=n_iter)
    #myBLR.InferenceBySGHMC(X_train, y_train,n_samples=5000)
    w_mean,w_std,b_mean,b_std=myBLR.GetCoeffs()
    print('mean evaluated ',np.hstack((w_mean,b_mean)))
    dist=np.linalg.norm(np.hstack((w_true,b_true))-np.hstack((w_mean,b_mean)))
    print('First update dist= ',dist)

for ic in range(20):
        X_train2, y_train2 = build_toy_dataset(2, w_true,b_true)
        #myBLR.InferenceUpdate(X_train2, y_train2,n_iter=n_iter) #for p(z | x_2)
        #updated to 
        X_train=np.vstack((X_train,X_train2));y_train=np.append(y_train,y_train2)
        myBLR.InferenceUpdate(X_train, y_train,n_iter=n_iter) #for p(z | x_1, x_2)
        w_mean,w_std,b_mean,b_std=myBLR.GetCoeffs()
        print('First update dist= ',dist)

print('mean evaluated ',np.hstack((w_mean,b_mean)))
    print('true ',np.hstack((w_true,b_true)))

myBLR2=BayesianLR(log_dir)
        myBLR2.BuildModel(X_train.shape[0],D)
        myBLR2.InferenceByKLqp(X_train, y_train,n_iter=n_iter)
        w_mean,w_std,b_mean,b_std=myBLR2.GetCoeffs()
        print('mean evaluated2 ',np.hstack((w_mean,b_mean)))
        print('Batch update dist2= ',dist)

If I understand your code correctly, you are doing 50 inference updates for each new set of training examples. This is not guaranteed to converge to the posterior over the full data set. Mathematically, the model p(x, z) fits to the current set of training examples to obtain p(z | x_1). Then on a new batch—because the prior hasn’t changed—the model refits to the batch while forgetting about the previous examples. This returns p(z | x_2) and not p(z | x_1, x_2).

If you’d like to do this sort of recursive Bayesian inference, you need to plug in the inferred posterior as the new prior on additional fits. This can be a little involved with building big graphs or being a little smarter about re-assigning tf.Variables in the prior post-inference while fixing them during inference.

Alternatively, if your setting allows it, keep the old data points around and perform inference jointly over the new and old data points.

Also relevant:

Thank you dustin. I have tried to increase the iteration step gradually up to 1000, but it doesn’t work. In this case, since the training sample size changes each time, the dimension of the prior y must be changed by:
self.y = Normal(loc=ed.dot(self.x, self.w) + self.b, scale=tf.ones(self.n_case))
This may results in the reset of scale of y to 1 each time.

By a second thought, since x_1 and x_2 are are generated from the same function in this example, it should not be so matter p(x, z) fits to p(z | x_2) or p(z | x_1,x_2)

In each case the euclidean distance between the true and estimated values ocillate at around 0.6, while the euclidean distance is about 0.1 when training in batch. It seems that the posterior is reset to its initial status.

Ah, got it. How many updates have you run? Are you sure the algorithm converged? Try 1000 as an extreme. If you’re doing inference jointly over new and old data points, you likely have to run inference much longer than if you had just done inference over the new data points.

Thank you dustin. I have tried to increase the iteration step gradually up to 1000, but it doesn’t work. In this case, since the training sample size changes each time, the dimension of the prior y must be changed by:
This may results in the reset of scale of y to 1 each time.

By a second thought, since x_1 and x_2 are are generated from the same function in this example, it should not be so matter p(x, z) fits to p(z | x_2) or p(z | x_1,x_2)

In each case the euclidean distance between the true and estimated values ocillate at around 0.6, while the euclidean distance is about 0.1 when training in batch. It seems that the posterior is reset to its initial status.

Let me answer my own question. The implementation should have no problem. However, my initial setting of samples size N=5 is too small. Changing it to a number around 10 will make the Bayesian estimate converges to the true value as more samples are added.

1 Like